Jesus said: Come to me all you who are heavy laden, and I will give you rest Matthew 11.28
St Andrew’s Church PCC affirms the legal right of any parishioner to be buried in the churchyard while it remains open.
We also seek to extend this right to anyone who can demonstrate a strong connection to the church as follows:
- A close family member is already interred in the churchyard (parents, grandparents, siblings, children and grandchildren)
- The deceased and/or next of kin lived in the parish for a minimum of 15 years during their lifetime.
- Anyone who regularly (twice monthly) worshipped at St Andrew’s for a minimum of 5 years
- A child (under 18) where there are strong pastoral reasons for acceding to a request in the unanimous view of the Vicar and churchwardens.
- On the electoral roll at the time of death
Anyone who is refused a request may appeal to the churchwardens, who may overturn the Vicar’s decision if they are both in agreement and the overrule concerns an interpretation of the rules.
These guidelines affect only new applications, but apply both to deaths and to requests for the reservation of a plot.
The policy will be reviewed annually in October.